Sunday, July 02, 2006

 

Team NZ A-Cat?


This photo of the Emirates Team New Zealand boat made me do a double-take...for a second I thought I was looking at a giant A-Cat. Maybe that's the idea. Don't know if the rules have changed yet but I heard more downwind sail area is in the works.

Seems to me they could more easily solve their speed problems by adding a hull or two, not to mention that multi-hull wipeouts are far more interesting to spectators.


Check out the video of an ORMA 60 trimaran doing an end-o:

http://www.multicup60.eu/videos/618/Trophee-du-CG-des-Alpes-Maritimes-Debut-muscle.html



And then there was that Volvo Extreme 40 incident:

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/photos/06/0531/

A-Cats can do that and they don't even need a spinnaker.

Skipper and forever-optimist Smyth said: “In a way I am quite pleased that we cartwheeled the boat, because at least now we know how to recover from it!”

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats